Introducing 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Program
The Crown Point Community Library announces the launch of a fun and exciting reading program for children ages 0-5 years – 1,000 Books before Kindergarten! The program was developed to increase awareness of the importance of reading to very young children as well as to inspire parents to embrace their role as their child’s first teacher.
The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless. The 1,000 Books before Kindergarten program encourages families to read at least 1,000 books to their preschooler, birth to age 5, before they enter school. Does it sound hard? Not really if you think about it. If you read just one book a night, you will have read about 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 book sin three years. IF you consider that most children start kindergarten at around five years of age, you have more time than you think.
Families can sign up beginning September 1 at the Crown Point and Winfield Branch libraries. Each child will receive a reading log to record the books they read, and a free book, compliments of the Friends of the Crown Point Library. Each time a goal of recording 100 books is reached, children are encouraged to bring their log to the library to receive the next reading log and receive a special reward!
The program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate. Just follow these steps:
- Register: Sign up at the Crown Point or Winfield Branch library. Pick up program materials at either library branch.
- Track Your Reading: Fill in a square for each book you read with your child on your reading record. You can also download the 1,000 Books before Kindergarten app for iPhones or Androids.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading record to the library to receive a special reward.
- 1,000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the library, get your final sticker, reading certificate and prize.
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
For more information contact the Children’s Library at 219-306-8068.